Friday 7 December 2012

Review: Days of Blood & Starlight



Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor
Series information: Second book in series
Audiobook narrator: Khristine Hvam
Length: 15 hrs, 17 min
Publication date: November 8, 2012 (orig. November 6, 2012)
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Days of Blood and Starlight is the second book in a trilogy and follows the events of Daughter of Smoke and Bone.
After Karou has found out about her past life and that Akiva is responsible for the demise of her own race, the chimaera, Karou decided to leave Akiva. Now she is allied with the chimaera rebells and helps them by resurrecting their fallen. Meanwhile Akiva thinks that Karou is dead and plans his own rebellion against his father. In Prague, Zuzana is worried about her friend and tries to decipher an email sent by Karou that might help her find her friend.

I had some more troubles getting into this volume than I had with the first book. The book only grapped me once I had listened to about a third of it; but then it enfolded its whole charme and proved to be just as good as the first volume.

It is more than just a fantasy book or a romance novel. It is an intricately woven story of two worlds, two leaders bent on war and cruelty and a few people trying to bring peace to their world. It is a story about hate and politics, but it is also a story about friendship.

The unabridged audiobook is narrated again by Khristine Hvam, who already narrated the first book. I fell in love with her way of narrating in the first book and enoyed her interpretation of this second book just as much. She has a wonderful voice and I particularly liked how she gave life to Karou's friend Zuzana (whom I find a great character).



View all my reviews Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

2 comments:

  1. I am thrilled to find another blogger who reviews English books! (found you through Karlas #hbc2013).

    I, too, burned through 'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' and then 'Days of Blood and Starlight'. Fantastic books, and you're absolutely right - more than just fantasy and romance. It touches upon deeper issues such as guilt, revenge, loyalty and the courage to overcome old traditions to create new alliances.

    And I agree that 'Days of Blood and Starlight' isn't as easy to love as 'Daughter of Smoke and Bone'. Still, it's a great series, and I can't WAIT for book #3!

    papercuts1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing most of my reading in English, so there will be an abundance of reviews of English books here.

      I was really impressed when I first listened to Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Khristine Hvam really gives it another layer with her great narration.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...